Mastering is a delicate process that is widely misunderstood and often never given the full attention it requires. Without the correct mastering your song or project stands a chance of not sounding as good as it could in many areas such as clarity, volume, bass and impact. This is especially the case with the now common playlist scenario. Even a bad recording and mix mastered correctly can have huge character and be a success. It’s true, many sub par recordings and mixes have been mastered correctly and then gone on to become hits and even cult classics.
Correct mastering to suit the end user and listening format has never been more important. With ever increasing ways that music is now delivered from iTunes to You Tube, to SoundCloud, to radio and T.V and yes, even CD's, they all have their format specific needs. Even Vinyl sales are increasing, so mastering really is a stage that needs attention, just like mixing. Taking this approach will greatly benefit your project.
In a traditional release such as an E.P or Album, the process focuses on achieving optimum sound quality for the entire project, from the individual tracks to the full length release, ensuring the same high level continues throughout. It can even extend to gaps between songs and the way in which songs overlap combining to make the project have a professional sounding release.
We also offer CD text software. This means your song titles and CD name will appear on supported CD players. This includes most car CD players and all computers; we can even submit this data to iTunes after your master has been pressed.
We have mastered projects for 100‘s of artists since 2005. Some of these include: Thomas Oliver, The Howlers, The Doo Rabs, Phoenix Foundation, The New Brides, Dirt Box Charlie, The Salvation Army, Red Dawn, Bond Street Bridge & Tre-Belle.
HOW MASTERING WORKS AT THE ARMOURY
When you have your project mastered at The Armoury, you will get the full professional mastering service. This includes the compiling and preparation of the album and album data not just the ‘mastering’ or 'loudening' of the songs.
- A test CD for you to check the mastering, fades, gaps and continuity.
- Unlimited tweaks - although we never need more than 3, most times it’s nailed the first time.
- A set of full resolution, .wavs & 320kps .mp3’s (converted with the best codec available) for you to use on SoundCloud, Facebook etc.
- CD Text: name of tracks and songs embedded on the CD
- All CD text uploaded to iTunes so when your fans put the CD in iTunes it shows the Artist and Track names (from a press copy)
- Red Book Master ready for duplication. This includes a DDP upload to the manufacturer of you choice, meaning you don’t have to post them a CD.
$150 - Per Track
$125 - 6 or more
$500 - 5 Track E.P. Usually $625 that's a song for free.
Please email us for albums or if you have any questions with rates.
ABout The Gear
At The Armoury we use a combination of Pro Tools plugins and an analogue signal path in our mastering process. We utilise industry standard analogue mastering equipment and some more pieces of personal taste. These have tape emulation and harmonic distortion giving your digital recordings some serious mojo.
Our analogue mastering equipment list is: Manley Massive Passive EQ, API 550 EQ, SSL 384 Compressor, Crane Song HEDD, Crane Song HTC8 & a Rupert Neve Master Buss Processor. Plugins are: UAD, Fabfilter, Waves and Slate Digital.
The monitoring at The Armoury is stunning and accurate (ask anyone that has been here) making our mastering translate on every system from a home theatre to an iPod. The process is painless.
Our mastering engineer (Troy TKO Kelly) has mastered literately 100’s of songs over the years and has a gained a depth of knowledge and experience in mastering many styles of music. We are so confident that you’ll love our work; we offer a free sample of our mastering services on your chosen track at no charge. We'll master 50% of the track so you can hear what we can offer. If you like it you can relax and we’ll make your project sound amazing!
WHAT YOU NEED TO DO:
When preparing your mixes for mastering you will need to make sure of the following :
- That there are no ‘overs’ or ‘clips’
- Leave at least 6db before clipping, preferable 9db
- Do not add any E.Q or compression to your output in your DAW
- You have labeled the file with the correct name of the song
- Files at the project sample and bit depth or no lower resolution than 24bit/44.1khz .wav
- Stereo Interleaved Files
- Check your bounce by listening to it
MASTERING EXAMPLES - coming soon.